Saturday, November 10, 2007

Shoes, Bears, and Heavy Hardcore

Here is my running log for the past week:
  • Sunday - 7 Miles at 9AM + band practice in the PM. I felt really good running in the morning and could have easily run more, but I didn't have time before work.
  • Monday - 5 Miles at 6PM. I messed up my neck something fierce at band practice the night before and had a grueling time getting through these five miles, but somehow this helped to ease the pain in my neck and loosen everything up.
  • Tuesday - 4 Miles at 11AM. Another day where I just didn't have time to do as many miles as I would have liked. Somehow my neck was miraculously cured by physical activity, which should have made it worse. Go figure.
  • Wednesday - Day off. I basically slept late, bummed around all day, and went to a show. I saw this band called Rock Fight who were undoubtedly the new kings of NYHC.
  • Thursday - 3 Miles at 11AM. Day sucked. I woke up late, ran well, but had no time before work.
  • Friday - 7 Miles at 8PM. I had to run a lot to make up for the short run on Thursday, but my body was not feeling it. This was fueled purely on force of will and this demo:The band is called Mother of Mercy, and it's got Bob from Let Down spitting some mean vocals. It's raging heavy hardcore with a metal tinge to it. Think Integrity meets Judge with a nice breath of fresh air. Here is a wma file of my favorite song.
  • Saturday - 4 Miles at 10am. I know an album rules when I'm listening to it while running and I wind up going really fast. I listened to the MOM demo, again, and then American Nightmare's Background Music and Blood for Blood. Good thing all of those bands are fucking great because I was spent and looking forward to my day off tomorrow. This brings my total to the week up to 30 miles, which is a nice level to be at for the next month before I start to really train heavily. I'm going to relax here for a little bit, work on building the strength in my knee up, and then I'll hit it hard.
I had the day off from work today and with my plans postponed I finally had time to get some new running shoes. I've been wearing the same style (New Balance 587s) for 10+ years since at the time I started running they were one of the only pairs out there designed to correct my right foot's tendency to turn inward. Sort of like if I was pigeon toed, but only on one foot. Since NB decided to stop manufacturing them I had to buy something new. Being completely ignorant of my options or what I would want to be looking for I went over to a local running store in Sayville where the staff was knowledgeable and courteous and set me up with that fine pair of Brooks "Extremes" or whatever catchy marketing name they came up with to sell them to kids who like to get vertical. Regardless, these suckers are pretty great. A lot lighter than the clunky 587s, but still with enough firmness and support for me to feel comfortable in. About as much bounce as an early Integrity too. I'm pretty excited to go out in these and see how it effects my bum knee.Blatantly the most important part of this day was the POLAR BEARS calendar I got to write out my training schedule and log my runs/times/etc. My friend Caitlin and I went to Boarders and found about a million sweet calendars, but the bears win out because they have paws, live on glaciers, and will eat your head. The Rudy Guiliani "Countdown To Victory" calendar didn't stand a chance. Just look at these guys:









Note the paws.












The glaciers.








And the head eating.

No comments: